Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Overrated Binibining Pilipinas 2008?

I wasn't able to watch the Grand Coronation Night of Binibining Pilpinas 2008 live over GMA-7. But I was able to catch at Youtube and at various showbiz news the most talked about interview with Miss Janina San Miguel, hailed as the Bb. Pilipinas World 2008. Here is the excerpt of that Q & A portion:
Paolo Bediones: Janina, how are you?
Janina San Miguel: Fine.
Paolo Bediones: Alright, so you won two of the major awards - Best in Long Gown, Best in Swimsuit, do you feel any pressure right now?
Janina San Miguel: No, I don’t feel any pressure right now.
Paolo Bediones: Confident! Alright! Please choose a name of the judge.
Paolo Bediones: We have Miss Vivian Tan.
Vivian Tan: Good Evening.
Janina San Miguel: Good Evening.
Vivian Tan: The question is, what role did your family play to you as candidate to Binibining Pilinas?
Janina San Miguel: "Well, my family’s role for me is so important b’coz there was the wa- they’re, they was the one who’s… very… Hahahaha… Oh I’m so sorry, Ahhmm… My pamily… My family… Oh my god.. I’m… Ok, I’m so sorry… I… I told you that I’m so confident… Eto, Ahhmm, Wait… Hahahaha, Ahmmm, Sorry guys because this was really my first pageant ever b’coz I’m only 17 years old and ahahaha I, I did not expect that I came from, I came from one of the top 10. Hmmm, so… but I said that my family is the most important persons in my life. Thank you".
Kuya Jessie's entries on the pageant's results has been bombarded with vehement comments from non-bloggers and bloggers alike. It amazed me how Filipinos could react with such hostility to their fellow Filipinos. So much has been said about that interview that I think it already grew out of proportion. In my opinion, the judges decision is final. Janina San Miguel, Jennifer Barrientos, and Patricia Fernandez will be representing the Philippines for Miss World, Miss Universe and Miss International respectively. They came out the victors in that pageant and we have to live with that. As for Janina, true, she needs to learn lots of things in order for her not to add more shame to our country's name. Let us give her a chance. She just have to double the effort in learning poise and grace, confidence, speech and grammar, thought organization and everything that she needs to hone to have that x-factor in the most coveted Miss World title.
While it's true that our country is known to be very proficient in speaking English, it is not the only thing that will bring us the crown. Look at other countries- Japan, Venezuela, and Mexico just to name a few. Their representatives can not even speak a single English word! They always bring their interpreters with them. But look at how Venezuela fared in different pageants: it won Miss World 5 times (1955, 1981, 1984, 1991 & 1995), 4 Miss Universe titles (1979, 1981, 1986, & 1996), and 5 Miss International titles (1985, 1997, 2000, 2003, & 2006).
To my fellow Filipinos, I understand your sentiments and disappointments. We need not say words that will add more shame, disgrace and insult to the Filipino's name. Instead, let us hope for the best- that Janina will learn quick wit and better English in such short a time.

View blog reactions
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin